History of legislative bodies in Kerala-- Cochin Council
The first Legislative Council in the Princely State of Cochin came into being in April 1925 under the Cochin Legislative Council Regulation promulgated in 1923.

The franchise was based upon property and allied qualifications. Besides general constituencies, certain special constituencies were created to represent interests such as those of landlords and planters.

The Council was allowed to introduce Bills, elicit information from Government through interpellations, move resolutions and to discuss and vote on the Budget demands. T. S. Narayana Aiyer was its president. In 1926, two select committees were formed. In 1935, four Standing Advisory Committees were constituted.

A system of diarchy was introduced in 1938 under the Government of Cochin Act, by which a member of Legislature was appointed as Minister to administer certain transferred subjects. Cochin was the first among the princely States to appoint a Minister.

Ambat Sivarama Menon was thus chosen as Minister for Rural Development. On his death, Dr. A. R. Menon was sworn in as Minister. Dr. Menon, who assumed office  on September 5, 1938, resigned on February 25, 1942, in the wake of a no-confidence motion. He was succeeded by T. K. Nair. Nair could continue till July 1945 as the term of the Council was extended because of the World War II.

In 1946, the number of Ministers was raised to four and more subjects were transferred. The first popular ministry of Cochin consisting of Panampilly Govinda Menon,  C. R. Iyyunni, K. Ayyappan and  T. K. Nair assumed office on September 9, 1946. A Public Accounts Committee was also formed in the same year.

On August 14, 1947, the Maharaja of Cochin announced his decision to grant full responsible government. Following this, a Council of Ministers with Panampilly Govinda Menon as Prime Minister assumed office. It remained in power from  September 1, 1947 to October 22, 1947.

Subsequently a Council of Ministers with T. K. Nair as Prime :Minister was formed on October 27, 1947 and it continued till September 20, 1948.

In 1948, adult franchise was introduced and Legislative Council was termed Legislative Assembly. After the general elections a popular ministry headed by Ikkanda Warrier was formed on September 20, 1948, and it remained in office till the integration of Travancore and Cochin on July 1, 1949.
First Cochin Legislative Council  (1925-28)

Total Members      : 45
Elected            : 30
Nominated          : 15
Bills passed       :  8

Second Cochin Legislative Council  (1928-31)

Total Members      : 45
Elected            : 30
Nominated          : 15
Bills passed       : 20


Third Cochin Legislative Council  (1932-1935)

Total Members      : 54
Elected            : 36
Nominated          : 18

Fourth Council (1935-1938)

Fifth Council (1938-1945)

Sixth Council (1945-48)

First popular ministry

Cochin Legislative Assembly (1948-49)

Members     :  58
Sittings         : 19
Bills passed  : 29
Previous: Bicameralism in Travancore
 KeralaAssembly.Org